Identity Management Institute (IMI)® is the first and leading global certification organization dedicated to identity governance, risk management, and compliance. IMI was founded in 2007 to help redefine identity management in order to address all identity risks, and support the professionals in the field to effectively collaborate and manage the identity risks facing their employees, customers, and organizations. As such, IMI has created training and certification programs, an active online community with some of the largest discussion groups comprised of thousands of global experts, as well as a leading identity management blog on the Internet.
Identity Management Institute is a pioneer and forward thinking organization in identity governance and access management which was founded in 2007 by Henry Bagdasarian, a leading expert in technology risk management, audit, and security who recognized the growing IAM risks as companies moved their infrastructure, platforms, and data to the cloud, allowed BYOD, and subscribed to various SaaS applications. While this trend reduced the security threats posed by traditional corporate networks, it introduced new risks as companies embraced distributed systems and dispersed users. The IAM sector became even more important in the cybersecurity industry as users and their passwords were recognized as the root cause of many data breach cases, the number of system APIs increased, IoT devices became mainstream, and finally the global Corona virus pandemic changed the remote workforce landscape forcing the majority of employees to work remotely across the world.
Identity and Access Governance Purpose
Identity and access governance is an organization’s overarching set of rules which proposes a management decision making process and accountability for achieving business goals while managing identity risks.
Identity Management Institute® (IMI) is an international organization which promotes the identity management field, serves identity professionals, increases identity risk awareness, and provides identity risk management standards, guidelines, certifications, and education.
Below are some of the identity and access governance objectives:
- Improve decision making to achieve business goals
- Streamline processes
- Standardize technology
- Reduce cost
- Identify and mitigate risks
- Increase enterprise value
- Meet internal and external requirements
- Empower management and staff
- Ensure security, privacy, and compliance
- Maintain identity data integrity
Identity Management Institute® is a forward thinking organization which strives to provide solutions for the ever evolving identity management challenges in the most creative, effective, and efficient ways. IMI was established to:
- Redefine and promote the identity management profession and address all identity risks inside or outside of an information system,
- Foster a community and governing body for all identity management professionals,
- Establish an independent accreditation process of the highest standard of excellence for the identity management professionals,
- Serve the members and the public through advocacy for the profession, awareness regarding the identity risks, education, and collaboration for solving the challenges,
- Contribute to the field through Critical Risk Domains™ (CRD), standards and education tools,
- Educate its members and the public through events and tools that promote best identity management practices, and
- Promote the highest professional ethics and standards for the identity management profession.
Identity Governance Advisors
Our advisors are select volunteers at-large who are certified members of IMI. The advisors provide guidance as needed with regards to IMI mission, objectives and operations.
IMI certified members are professionals with certain identity governance and management responsibilities within various business functions, companies, industries and government agencies. IMI has trained and certified employees of great organizations within a variety of industries including financial services, health care, insurance, consumer products, government agencies and other consumer services.
Identity Governance Partnership Programs
We believe that vision, creativity, and collective contributions are prerequisites for progress and when unique resources collaborate together, ultimate solutions become alive. Through sharing ideas, information, skills, practices, resources, and opportunities, IMI has built an active global community that supports identity risk professionals. Talented organizations which have similar aspirations can partner with IMI to create and offer the best possible solutions.
To share your ideas about partnerships or new product and service offering, please contact us.
IMI is often contacted by members of the media, regulators, and leading organizations for thought leadership, future risk trends, pressing challenges facing consumers and businesses, and control strategies in the areas of identity management. Contact us to request interviews or information.